Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Farewell, Maya Angelou

Maya Angelou passed away this morning. It was a shock to me...I always thought for some reason that she would live past 100. Eighty-six was too young for a woman with such great presence, power, and knowledge. It saddened my heart to see that she was gone.

She has always been my favorite poet. Her words resonated with me even as a young child. I understood her, I felt the power in what she wrote. I found her admirable and iconic.


Which is why it's no surprise to me why my daughter carries her name. 


Maya Angela, derived from Maya Angelou.


I had hoped that in the next few years after Maya learned to read that we would read Maya Angelou's works together and perhaps even hear her speak one day. But it won't be possible now.


Regardless, her passing has reminded me to teach my daughter the same lessons I learned from the great Maya Angelou. I want her to know why she was named after this woman and what she stands for. I want my daughter to know that I gave her a name that to me - has a meaning of strength, courage, confidence, and perseverance. Those are the characteristics I want to instill within her as she grows into a woman.


It's a tall order for a five year old. But all I can say is...she's definitely living up to it.


So farewell, Maya Angelou. Thank you for giving us words to live by for generations to follow. We will miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird