Saturday, June 21, 2014

The Perfectionist and the Playroom: How I found inspiration for a playroom makeover

                    


 A few days ago, I decided to take a quick peek around at Home Goods. I'm totally laughing at myself right now because it never turns out to be "quick" (I love that place so much I wish I lived in it). I was looking for a chair for my new dressing table the boyfriend, MD, bought me so that I can finally use it. Instead I came across a canvas word print that lead to my inspiration for the kids' playroom.

I saw it at the very end corner of the store. I didn't care for it at first. I always liked ones I've seen before, but they always seemed too wordy for a 2 and 5 year old. But then I read it. This one was simple, straightforward, and exactly the words I would share with my kids on how to play and learn and live out their childhood. It was super exciting for me because up to this point I was lost as to how to decorate and set up the playroom, and it usually takes me five forevers to think and research and Google ideas before making a decision. Then it takes me a while longer to decide if I really should spend money on it. I also came across a tote with the same colors and ran out the store with the two to show MD what I got.

But that's not the real inspiration I want to talk about.

----- 

It's been five months since we've moved into our home. Not one room is completely done and I am slowly losing my mind. We haven't completed anything partly because we've been so busy, partly because I'm a huge procrastinator, and partly because i'm never sure of myself enough to be confident in what i'm doing.

Often times, I get it in my head that there has to be a perfect time set aside to work on the house and that it has to look exactly like the vision in my head, with the right price, and the functionality i'm looking for...and I refuse to do anything until I know I've got it all. But if being a parent has taught me anything I've learned that there isn't a perfect time. AND that nothing will turn out exactly as I envision, especially if my bank account and lack of time has anything to do with it.

I knew I will never get the house perfect or exactly how I wanted it. I knew I could change things up if I didn't like it and that nothing has to be perfect the first time. I knew it didn't matter what others would say about our home because what matters is how we feel about it, but I could never convince that obsessive perfectionist who lives inside my head and fills me with insecurities. I'm totally messed up, I know. But this time things are changing. I started this blog because I wanted to change for the better and it was time to kick her OUT.

The crazy thing is at the same time I was thinking this, I came across a blog called The Nesting Place where her motto is:

IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE PERFECT TO BE BEAUTIFUL

The first thing I read on her blog was a post where she tells people to stop waiting for the next home and to start loving the one your in. She's totally right. I just came from a pretty decent apartment that I never set up. We ended up living with piles all over the place for a year because I just couldn't get myself to spend the time or money on the apartment. I couldn't justify working on a place that wasn't completely mine to work with and change what I want. For some reason I couldn't live with 'good enough' or 'for right now'. And now I was doing it again at our new home. It was a depressing moment.

Click on image for the link
I read her words. I read what her blog was all about. It was about everything that was wrong with my thoughts when it comes to making a house a home. It was just the push I needed to get going. Instead of feeling overwhelmed about making sure our house will be perfect, functional, easy to clean, etc...I finally felt ready to just do it. No more over-thinking. No more letting that crazy perfectionist inside fill me with thoughts that I won't be happy with our home because it's not how I dreamed it up to be. Just make the best of what I've got and go with it.

That was the real inspiration. It opened up my eyes to look at things from a different angle. To be open to change. To embrace and take pride in imperfections...my imperfections.

Pack your bags crazy obsessive little perfectionist inside my head. You are no longer welcome here.




No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird